I am very pleased to announce that my entry, 'Message To Earth', was juried into Threadworks 2010, Apr 24 to June 13 and will be in a three year touring exhibition. I am thrilled to have won the Juror's Choice for Best Hand Embroidery.
I wanted to portray the "life-destruction-renewal-life" cycle as a statement of hope for what appears to be planet Earth in distress. Like a caring letter one would write to a friend, I have embroidered words along the branches to suggest leaves, there but not there, waiting for a friendly helpful hand.
rust dyed cotton, commercial cotton, hand dyed silk chiffon overlays, fabric leaves, commercial and hand dyed perle threads.
Size: 18 in x 17.25 in (Representational Wall Quilt)
Techniques: appliqué with hand and machine stitching
- fabric dyed with metal pieces to create rust colored markings on cotton
- transfer dyes on silk chiffon to create layers of color
- machine appliquéd fabric leaves on first layer
- machine couched perle threads to create tree and branches
- hand embroidery for lettering, leaves, quilted stitches in background and additional threads to the couched branches.